Wednesday, July 20, 2016

It's okay being late - a lesson learnt on the day of my wedding

How it would sound, the thing you hate the most happening on your big day? Being a man of punctuality, i expect others to be punctual. Though it was not intentional, on the day of our wedding my life partner taught me that it is okay being late sometimes.

The marriage of my twin brother and I was scheduled on Monday, April 18, 2016 at 10.30 am. My brother's bride reached before time from her place, which was 24 kms away from the Church. As one bride and the party came, 9 priests who came to officiate the wedding went to the sacristy at 10.25 am to vest the vestments not knowing that the second bride and the party had not reached yet. 

The vicar of the church was informed that one bride did not reach yet, so the 9 priests in their vestments kept waiting. I looked at my watch and it was 10.35 am. All the news I have read in the newspapers and social media about the bride not turning up on the wedding day and marriage getting cancelled was flashing in my mind. Though appeared to be cool i too started getting tensed, as the relatives started asking me where was my bride. I consoled myself telling them that she has to come all the way from her home, which was 42 kms away, and the MC road works were under way causing delays in traffic.

Finally I reached out to the bride's father over phone, and he told me that the bride's party was just 6.2 kms away and would reach in 10 minutes. I breathed a sigh of relief that she was about to reach at last. Though they took more than the said time, finally, they reached by 10.50 am and as soon as she reached, without waiting for the camera clicks, we entered into the Church for the wedding  ceremony to commence. I could hardly speak to her parents and brother before entering the church.

As all the 9 priests were one way or the other related to my family and I, there was not much displeasure seen on their faces, in spite of priests being known for their punctuality. Nevertheless, i stood there apologetic.

It was almost after three months of marriage, i learnt that it was not because of the MC road construction works alone that my bride was late to reach in time. Her mother told me that she had a reputation for being late. When she was doing her PG, she often started from home for college with not much time to spare before the classes commenced. She being the class topper her teachers might have closed their eyes towards her being late to class. 

Later, i got used to her habit of being late whenever we have to set out together somewhere, although I still keep maintaining my punctuality for my personal matters otherwise. I've even learned to find it okay to be late sometimes. After all, it is better to be late than never.

Image Courtesy: Google Image 


No comments:

Post a Comment